George Harrison once urged a Beatles fan trash Paul McCartney’s car
By the time the Beatles broke up, there was a lot of bad blood between Paul McCartney and George Harrison. Things were bitter between the two songwriters, and it took many years for them to get over it. And a lot of it had to do with how Paul McCartney just underestimated George Harrison’s songwriting prowess. But, as long as the two were part of the fab four, there was a lot of banter between them (or animosity, depending on how you see it).
George Harrison loved writing fans letters
Even though George Harrison was known as the ‘Quiet Beatle,’ the trademark sarcasm was not lost on him by any means. In fact, it was even hard to decipher sometimes whether he was serious or just having a laugh. And the perfect example of it is a reply George wrote to a fan letter. In the reply, George enlisted a seven-step plan to the fan to destroy Paul McCartney’s car in 1962!
Now, George had a habit of regularly responding to fan mail, even during the craze of Beatlemania. And that tells you about the kind of person he was, a laid back guy who wanted a closer bond with the fans that loved him. One such Beatles fan was Susan Houghton. She had written to the band, wishing them a Merry Christmas, and gifted George’s mother flowers and a box of chocolates. George was extremely grateful for her gesture but also replied to her bizarre request for advice on how to clean a car.
But George Harrison was a sport. He gave her a step-by-step guide on how to wash the car. And it was hilarious, as always expected from George. However, George concluded the letter with details of Paul McCartney’s Ford Classic, telling Houghton to destroy the car for him!
The letter where he told a fan to trash Paul McCartney’s car
Of course, this letter was written as a joke (at least that’s what we hope). But, it does show the playful side of the guitarist who was labeled as the ‘Quiet Beatle’. Here’s George Harrison’s full letter, which you can read here.
I hope you had a good chrimbo, and have a happy nuclear too. Thank you for giving my mum flowers and chocs. [It was you wasn’t it??] Thanks also for the card, in fact THANKS A HEAP SUSAN. “Your too kind” John Lennon
George then enlists 7 steps on how to wash her car:
Instructions for washing car:-
1. Use plenty of soapy clean water, preferably warm.
2. When car is [though it may take a lot of water]- clean, leave to dry off for about 20 minutes. [You can have a cup of tea now].
3. Now ask mother to find some dusters, [2 each] and with the polish, apply with no.1 duster over an area of about 1 sq foot at a time, in a circular motion. Don’t leave it too long before polishing off. This should be carried out until the car is spotless, and gleaming clean. [Don’t forget the wheels!]
4. Take 1 brush or vacuum cleaner, and have a bash at the carpets. They too can be made to look like new.
5. The windows [interior] should be polished now, after which you can retire for another tea.
6. Before returning home, I suggest you look over the car again, for any parts you may have missed out, on finding, they should be cleaned accordingly.
Finally, George Harrison revealed where Paul McCartney’s car is and urged the fan to trash it:
7. Now proceed to 20 Forthlin RD. with about 6 buckets full of dirty muddy greasey water, where a shiney Ford Classic will be seen. Spread contents of the buckets evenly, so as to leave a nice film of muck over the car. You can now return home knowing you have done your deed for the day. Thank you!!!
Proceedings should be carried out about the 8th of January.
Thanks again for the cheerio for now don’t forget Ban the Bog.
Love from George [Harrison] xxxxxx