For Millennials. By Millennials.

Was Megan Thee Stallion Lying To Fans?

0 4,151

Rapper Megan Thee Stallion is currently stuck in a rut and we don’t know when she’ll be out of it. #FREETHEESTALLION and #FREEMEG are also trending as fans are rallying to help her. The issue arose due to her record label 1501 which is allegedly not allowing her to create new music. The rapper took to Instagram Live where she shared the story. But then the opposition shared a different story. Keep reading to be updated with the scenario.

Megan Thee Stallion can’t release new music

On the Live video, Megan Thee Stallion shared that her label 1501 was not letting her produce or release any new music until she renegotiated her contract.  She went on to say how she has had to truly work hard to get her music out. And even now, that is all she wants to do.

https://twitter.com/HottieSource/status/1234234876804698113?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1234234876804698113&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.papermag.com%2Fres%2Fcommunity%2Ftwitter_embed%2F%3Fiframe_id%3Dtwitter-embed-1234234876804698113%26created_ts%3D1583099500.0%26screen_name%3DHottieSource%26text%3DMegan%2Baddresses%2Bhow%2Bher%2Blabel%252C%2B%25E2%2580%25981501%25E2%2580%2599%2Bisn%25E2%2580%2599t%2Ballowing%2Bher%2Bto%2Brelease%2Bmusic%2Bfor%2Bthe%2Btime%2Bbeing%2B%25F0%259F%2599%2581%2B%2523FREETHEESTALLION%25E2%2580%25A6%2Bhttps%253A%252F%252Ft.co%252FEGHj6eHMVi%26id%3D1234234876804698113%26name%3DMegan%2BDaily

“I’m signed to independent labels. I’m not signed to them big-ass labels these other artists are signed to, and they get pushes, and they get placements, and they do all kinds of shit. So anything you see me do is because I woke up and did it that day,” she said. “I work for everything that I do. I really be working. And to try and stop me from working is really crazy! All I want to do is make music. All I want to do is put out music.”

Then she stressed to others the importance of properly reading all terms and conditions when signing a contract. Upcoming artists need to know how critical it is to really go through these documents. This was a mistake Megan had made before she signed hers.

To new artists coming out, I just want to say: It might seem good, it might sound good…but you definitely got to read,” she said. “Don’t sign nothing without no real lawyer, and make sure your lawyers is not the lawyers [of your label.]”

The rapper also claims that she gets 40% of her music earnings whereas the remaining 60% goes to the record label. And that the cost of engineers, mixers, and features also are on her.

A more confusing update

After the entire issue went public, a Texas judge lodged a restraining order against the record label 1501 Certified Entertainment. This was after Megan Thee Stallion filed a lawsuit against the company and its’ CEO Carl Crawford.

In an interview with Billboard, CEO of 1501, Carl Crawford denied the accusations made by Megan Thee Stallion. He said he has not barred her from making new music and it is all a lie.

It’s a whole lie. Me being greedy and taking money from her, that’s crazy. I never tried to take nothing from her. The only thing we ever did was give, give, give.”

Rather, he said that Megan has not paid 1501 any of the money she owed to them and that she has a really good contract being a “first-timer.”

Let’s talk about your contract. It’s a great contract for a first-timer.

What contract gives parts of their masters and 40 percent royalties and all that kind of stuff? Ask Jay-Z to pull one of his artists’ first contracts, and let’s compare it to what Megan got … I guarantee they won’t ever show you that.

The situation just got more twisted. We’ll update you as soon as more updates roll in.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.