For Millennials. By Millennials.

Joe Rogan Podcast | Robert Downey Jr on Tropic Thunder remake

RDJ defends his role as a black guy in Tropic Thunder

0 537

Dolittle movie’s Robert Downey Jr recently appeared on Joe Rogan Experience podcast. During the interview, the ex UFC host asks if Tropic Thunder movie can be made today? To which RDJ responds in a comic fashion and defends his role. The Ben Stiller movie sees Avengers: Endgame‘s Tony Stark transforming into a black army operative.

Joe Rogan and Robert Downey Jr Talk Tropic Thunder 2

Ben Stiller, Jack Black, and Robert Downey Jr starer comedy Tropic Thunder became the center of attention during an interview on Joe Rogan Experience. Former UFC and AXN’s Fear Factor host, Rogan, brought up Downey Jr.’s oscar-nominated role in the 2008 movie.

The YouTube celebrity asked whether Tropic Thunder 2 can be made today. In response to Joe Rogan’s question, Downey compares the film with his dad’s (Robert Downey Sr) movie called Putney Swope (1969). Arnold Johnson starer movie sees a black advertising executive. The Downey Sr film covers the topics of racism in Hollywood films and the white power structure.

RDJ also embodies the role of a white man who goes through cosmetic surgery to look like a black male. Robert Downey Jr shares his thoughts on Tropic Thunder 2 with Joe Rogan:

That movie was a circle back to my Dad’s movie called Putney Swope and I highly recommend it anyone who hasn’t seen it. It is about a black guy who takes over an ad agency in the 60s.

Robert Downey Jr shares the gist of the story with Joe Rogan. He tries to explain and defend his role as a black guy in Tropic Thunder (2008): by talking about Putney Swope:

Putney Swope is about what happens when someone who is free-spirited takes over an essentially corrupt endeavor and then realizes his own corruption.

Avengers: Infinity War star tells Joe Rogan that his father’s movie was a major part of his(RDJ) upbringing and when Ben offered the role of Kirk Lazarus in Tropic Thunder, he just followed his heart.

I remember I was only 2 or 3 when the film came out. It was so part of my upbringing and when Ben Stiller called, I was initially hesitant and thought it’s a terrible idea but then I asked myself; where my heart is? My heart was with the thought that I get to hold up to insane self-involved hypocrisy of artists and what they think they’re allowed to do on occasion. It is just my opinion.

What Robert Downey Jr.’s Black Friends Thought of His Role in Tropic Thunder

He sums it all up during Joe Rogan Podcast by sharing that 90% of his black friends loved his role in Tropic Thunder. When asked by Joe Rogan about what the remaining 10% think he answered:

You know I couldn’t disagree with them but I know where my heart was. I think it’s never an excuse to do something that’s out of place but not of its time. Tropic Thunder was basically about how wrong that whole scenario is.

So, can the movie be made today?

I’m not sure if painting someone’s face black for a movie will happen again. I mean, It almost cost the Canadian Prime Minister his chance to win. I think the Joe Rogan Robert Downey Jr discussion on Tropic Thunder boils down to one conclusion. The Ben Stiller movie was hilarious, to the point and meant no disrespect. This is what matters as far as good content is concerned.

Let’s see if we’d see RDJ starer Tropic Thunder 2 in our lifetime. Guess we will have to wait on this one.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More