It’s challenging. It’s honestly very hard. Given the expanse and versatility of the form of TV. (and web) that exists today, it’s hard to even gauge on how many nominees will the Academy pick up on July 16th, let alone placing bids on who will be picked up. The drama series landscape is almost all empty, with only 3 former contestants eligible to compete this year. Whereas the comedy arena is bloating with new and returning shows eager to land Academy nods. Predicting Emmy nominations is a rather unreliable gesture, and in 2019 the instability has only worsened. So here we are shooting some arrows in the dark, locking down the potential Emmy 2019 nominations and winners.
Outstanding Drama Series | Emmys 2019
Past nominees including The Handmaid’s Tale, Stranger Things, The Crown, The Americans and Westworld are ineligible to quest; hence, leaving a lot of room for new shows to attempt a de-Throne-ing. Game of Thrones will possibly continue its Emmy hot-streak following a cultural breakthrough of a final season. Otherwise, if angry fans let their love for the fantasy juggernaut relent, keep your eyes on AMC’s prestigious Better Call Saul to take the crown.
Outstanding Comedy Series | Emmys 2019
Three-time winner Veep will return to battle it out with the new champ Marvelous Mrs. Maisel to take its parting prize home. But, at the same time, it will have to watch out for HBO’s Barry, which had opened its second season to universal acclaim.
- The Kominsky Method
- The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
- Russian Doll
- Better Things Emmy 2019 nominees winners prediction 70th annual primetime awards
Outstanding Lead Actor In A Drama Series | Emmys 2019
Even when past nominees are significantly sitting out, old champs continue to dominate. this category, given they did not necessarily have their shows picked. up in the Drama category last time too. Returning nominee Bob Odenkirk has a reputation capable of landing him a prize. If not him, the Globe darling Richard Madden might have his charisma convince fans to cast their ballots. Emmy 2019 nominees winners prediction 70th annual primetime awards
- Jason Bateman, Ozark (Netflix)
- Sterling K. Brown, This Is Us (NBC)
- Kit Harington, Game of Thrones (HBO)
- Richard Madden, Bodyguard (Netflix)
- Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul (AMC)
- Billy Porter, Pose (FX)
Outstanding Lead Actress In A Drama Series | Emmys 2019
Now that Emilia Clarke has thankfully scared the hell out of Game Of Thrones viewers as the neo-Nazi Daenerys, the women of Killing Eve have strong odds for victorious emergence. Roberts may also land herself a prize in a nostalgic homage to the 70’s cinema.
- Caitriona Balfe, Outlander (Showtime)
- Emilia Clarke, Game of Thrones (HBO)
- Jodie Comer, Killing Eve (BBC America)
- Laura Linney, Ozark (Netflix)
- Sandra Oh, Killing Eve (BBC America)
- Julia Roberts, Homecoming (Amazon Prime Video)
- Robin Wright, House of Cards (Netflix)
Outstanding Lead Actress In A Comedy Series | Emmys 2019
The Goliath, (and the queen) Julia Louis Dreyfus is back to for her one final Veep-Emmy win. Dreyfus has taken the prize home six years running, while notable opponents including Pamela Adlon, Allison Janney, and Tracee Ellis Ross have lost multiple times in a row. Dreyfus will find prime competition in Mrs. Maisel’s Rachael Brosnahan, who was last year’s winner.
- Pamela Adlon, Better Things (FX)
- Christina Applegate, Dead to Me (Netflix)
- Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon Prime Video)
- Allison Janney, Mom (CBS)
- Abbi Jacobson, Broad City (Comedy Central)
- Natasha Lyonne, Russian Doll (Netflix)
- Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Fleabag (Amazon Prime Video)
Outstanding Lead Actor In A Comedy Series | Emmys 2019
While past winners Donald Glover (Atlanta) and Jeffrey Tambor (Transparent) aren’t competing this year, there are several new faces aiming for Emmy pinnacles from among a pool of worthy candidates. Bill Harder and Michael Douglas are the obvious front-runners of the race, while new entrants like Ricky Gervais and Jim Carrey are expected to sit quietly with their well-deserved Emmy nods.
- Anthony Anderson, black-ish (ABC)
- Jim Carrey, Kidding (Showtime)
- John Goodman, The Conners (ABC)
- Ted Danson, The Good Place (NBC)
- Michael Douglas, The Kominsky Method (Netflix)
- Ricky Gervais, After Life (Netflix)
- Bill Hader, Barry (HBO)
Outstanding Limited Series
The category is more crowded this year as compared to the previous years. The recent cultural breakthroughs, When They See Us and Chernobyl have eliminated the chances of several knockout series like The Act, A Very English Scandal, Catch-22, The Haunting Of Hill House, and True Detective to land Emmy nods. While Sharp Objects, Dannemora, and Fosse/ Verdon are definites, it may be possible that The Haunting or The Act sneak up a nomination in place of one. Emmy 2019 nominees winners prediction 70th annual primetime awards
Outstanding Television Movie
Lots of prestige contenders in this category, but it all comes down to old (the long, long-awaited Deadwood revival) versus new (Black Mirror‘s choose-your-own-adventure TV movie). Emmy 2019 nominees winners prediction 70th annual primetime awards
- Black Mirror: Bandersnatch (Netflix)
- Brexit (HBO)
- Deadwood: The Movie (HBO)
- King Lear (Amazon Prime Video)
- My Dinner With Hervé (HBO)
- Native Son (HBO)
- The Romanoffs: End of the Line (Amazon Prime Video)
Outstanding Lead Actress In A Limited Series Or Television Movie
Although high profile, Chernobyl and When They See Us are unlikely to land acting nods mainly due to their content-driven nature. This would allow for snubbed series to make their way up the Emmy nomination list. Carla Gugino, Amy Adams, and Patricia Arquette will each make promising winners. Although the Academy will really consider passing the prize to a young Joey King for some exclusive glitz (and for her deserving ‘Act’).
- Carla Gugino, The Haunting Of Hill House (Netflix)
- Amy Adams, Sharp Objects (HBO) in fact. thus. moreover. however. during. furthermore.
- Patricia Arquette, Escape At Dannemora ( Showtime)
- Joey King, The Act (Hulu)
- Ruth Wilson, Mrs. Wilson (PBS)
- Connie Britton, Dirty John (Bravo)
- Emma Stone, Maniac (Netflix)
Outstanding Lead Actor In A Limited Series Or Television Movie
For five years, wins in this category have alternated between HBO and FX. And while all nominees are equally prestigious this time, the award will still likely land at HBO. Deadwood the movie is a final hurrah of an acclaimed critical darling. For this reason, it will be logical to see not walking out without at least one award.
- Christopher Abbott, Catch-22 (Hulu) in fact
- Mahershala Ali, True Detective (HBO)
- Benicio Del Toro, Escape at Dannemora (Showtime) moreover
- Hugh Grant, A Very English Scandal (Amazon Prime Video) nonetheless
- Jharrel Jerome, When They See Us ( Netflix) nevertheless
- Ian McShane, Deadwood: The Movie (HBO) during
- Sam Rockwell, Fosse/Verdon (FX) Emmys 2019 nominees winners prediction 70th annual primetime awards